Some of you may not think that a small dog sweater is worth a second thought. Your dog has fur so they don’t need another layer, or do they?
Well if we look at things in those terms, you have hair so I guess that means you don’t need to wear a warm hat in winter then do you?
Kind of makes you think twice doesn’t it. Even if dogs have fur we have to consider the fact that there are different types of fur/hair.
There are long haired and short haired breeds and then there are our heart warming mutts that have splotchy fur that doesn’t grow properly and isn’t really even. You’ll see this in older dogs as the fur/hair starts to fall out around the “elbows” and other very strange places.
So let’s get down to it and name some of the reasons why a sweater may be a great investment for your pet.
- Some short haired breeds have a tendency to be cold year long
- Some breeds that are originally from hot climates aren’t genetically equipped to deal with fall and winter weather
- Older dogs and smaller breeds lose heat quickly and need a constant heat source for comfort
- Some people turn down the heat at night during winter and walk around with a few layers on, dogs can benefit from an extra layer too.
- Putting a sweater on your dog before a long walk will make it much more pleasant for the both of you
Only you know what your pet is really like. If they tend to shake and shiver a lot, they may be trying to tell you something. With the fall months coming very soon watch your pet closely to see if there are any signs of them being cold. If there are, you may want to consider a small dog sweater for their comfort.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money $15-$20 can get you a nice one. Or if you love to knit, then all you need are some really good small dog sweater patterns and your pet will have a closet full of hand made warmth and love.